Newspapers


Newspapers

A publication which has served the Italian community for a century (since 1908) is the bilingual, weekly newspaper, Litalo-americano. It provides news from Italy on politics, sports, art and culture, etc., while its Italian American news focuses on the Italian communities of Oregon, San Francisco, Orange County, Los Angeles and San Diego. Its calendar section (back page; or http://www.italoamericano.com/calendar.htm) is the best source for finding out whats happening in the local Italian community: dinner dances, club meetings, special events, etc. In 2004 the newspaper was purchased by the L'Italo American Foundation, directed by Robert Barbera, but it is still edited by former Scalabrinian priest, Mario Trecco. (See COLLECTIONS, Archives)

L'italo-americano
c/o Villa Scalabrini
10631 Vinedale St.
Sun Valley, CA 91352
Tel: (818) 767-3413
Fax: (818) 767-1410
http://www.italoamericano.com
Robert J. Barbera, Publisher: rjb@barberaproperties.com
Mario Trecco, Editor: trecco@italoamericano.com

A Bit of History: The only Italian newspaper on the West Coast, since 1908: L'Italo-Americano was founded in 1908 by Gabriello Spini, a learned Florentine, who wanted to "Inform, Unite and Assist" the rising Italian American community of Los Angeles. In 1924 Cleto Baroni, Spini's nephew, became Associate Editor, and in 1933 assumed sole ownership and editorial responsibility of L'Italo-Americano directing its destiny single-handedly for 38 years. In 1963 Gabriello Spini died at age 89.

Mr. Baroni, to ensure stability of service, sold L'Italo-Americano (1971) to The Fathers of St. Charles (Scalabrinians) and Fr. Mario Trecco became the new editor of the newspaper. [] in 1980 L'Italo-Americano acquired L'Eco d'Italia of San Francisco and became the only Italian newspaper on the West Coast. Two years later, Cleto Baroni died at age 85, after 65 years of service to the newspaper.

In 1983 L'Italo-Americano celebrated its diamond jubilee and in1986 acquired a more modern look by going tabloid size. Trecco remained in charge of L'Italo-Americano until 1990 when Fr. Augusto Feccia became its new editor. [] In 1998 Fr. Feccia relinquished the position of editor to Fr. Ermete Nazzani. [] The Fathers of Saint Charles in 1999 sold L'Italo-Americano to Mr. Mario Trecco, who became its sole owner and director. As of July 1, 2004 L'Italo-Americano became the property of L'Italo American Foundation, under the direction of Head Publisher Robert Barbera. Mario Trecco remains the editor of the newspaper.
(From: www.italoamericano.com "History")